Welcome to Art & Design
Art & Design at Coundon Court is a successful department which is forward thinking allowing for excellent independent learning across Key Stage 3, 4 and post-16. Our aims are to provide opportunities for students to:
KS3- The Visual Art Course assesses the level of a student's artistic skills and allows them to develop personal repsonses to projects, using a variety of drawing, painting and 3-dimensional work. By the end of KS3 students are expect to use their creative and critical skills in sustained activities, They should engage confidently with art and design from a variety of times and cultures, and be able to communicate ideas and feeling using visual language.
KS4 - GCSE This course involves creative work in a variety of disciplines, including drawing, printing, printmaking and 3D work. Students are introduced to their projects one at a time and are expected to do at least 1 hour of homework a week to support the work they do in lesson time. This enables them to build a flip file of preparatory studies to inform their final pieces of work. The coursework is made up of 1 project which is 60% of the final mark. The examination project, including a practial examination makes up the remaining 40%.
KS4 - BTEC - This course involves the same sort of creative work as the GCSE course, but does not have an examination element. Students are expected to do at least 1 hour of homework each week to support the work they tackle in lessons. This enables students to complete the guided hours required for each unit of work. Students will be awarded a Pass, Merit or Distinction grade. To pass the BTEC Level 2 Diploma students will need to complete 6 mandatory units and 2 optional units of work.
For all students in KS4/5 Art rooms are open and lunchtimes and often after school to support students in finishing work or to help improve their use of materials and techniques.
KS5 - AS/A2 Level - Candidates are introduced to a variety of experiences, media and techniques. They explore drawing and painting using a varety of methods and scales. They are encouraged to develop and push their ideas through their creative work. They analyse ideas and images from many different times and cultures in their practical and written work and are able to give a personal response to them.
At AS the coursework is made up on 1 project, which is 50% of the fina mark; the examination making up the other 50%. At A2 the AS grade makes up 50% of the final grade, with the A2 coursework being 25%. The examination project makes up the remaining 25%.
KS5 BTEC Level 3 National - Candidates are introduced to a wide variety of experiences through 4 core and 2 specialist units of work. Students are encouraged to be independent and crative with their ideas and will explore a range a mark making and making techniques during the 2 year course. Students will be awarded a Pass, Merit or Distinction grade.
Summary of Home Learning Arrangements
KEY STAGE 3
KEY STAGE 4
KEY STAGE 5
KS4 – OCR (GCSE), Edexcel (BTEC Level 2 Diploma)
KS5 – AQA (AS and A2), Edexcel (BTEC Level 3 National Award)